Friday, January 21, 2011

The Nursery

We turned what used to be our guest room into a room suitable for this new baby of ours. I kept most everything from when the twins were born (crib bedding, rocking chair, some pictures, etc.) so it was a relatively inexpensive transition. However, I did have to get a few things to make the room complete.
I bought this refinished dresser that I found on a local classified ad. I bought a changing pad, cover, and basket so it works as a changing table as well. All 3 drawers are fully stocked with clothes sized 0-6 months. I kept a lot more of the twins' clothes than I remembered. Works out great for boy #3! And yes, those are flowers on the drawer pulls. Ask me if I care. I am just thankful from the bottom of my heart that I wasn't the one who refinished the whole thing. After the boys' bunk beds, I was toast!

This is in the corner where I will be hanging out with the baby all night. That chair is not the most beautiful green color, but it rocks and reclines and is so comfortable. I loved using it when I was up with the twins at night, I was really happy to still have it for this baby. The table drawer is fully stocked with things I'll need for nightly feedings. It feels good to be organized. Some day I'll get that chair recovered...

I bought this crib bedding from Pottery Barn for the twins. I washed and ironed everything, and took the crib bumper to the dry cleaner. Voila, it's like new again! I refinished the picture frames today and just put coordinating scrapbook paper in the frames. They used to have pictures of animals and I couldn't stand looking at them anymore! I think this craft turned out pretty cute.

Here are the frames up close:

This is a gift from my Uncle Russ and Aunt Marcia. It hung in the boys' room for a long time, but I thought it would look best in the nursery. I love what it says. When my aunt and I found it, we got teary. She bought it for me on the spot and even wrote a little note on the back to Jack and Henry. I cherish this.

This picture is so special to me. It hangs above the changing table, across from the crib where the baby will always be able to see it. I remember my grandma always having this picture in her home, usually hanging above the piano. I bought it when the twins were born to have in their room. I think children have such a special relationship with the Savior, and this picture depicts that perfectly.

And lastly, I have to include a picture of the car seat cover my sister (and mom) gave me for Christmas. They made it! The fabric is so cute, and you can't tell in this picture, but there are big brown buttons on top of the parts that wrap around the handle. So simple, so chic, just my style.
Yes! I am finally starting to feel settled.

3 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

It's coming together so well! Everything looks awesome. LOVE your car seat cover, too! Did you get your nursing cover as well?

The dresser looks awesome! And it is nice to not be the one doing the work, as much as I love refinishing furniture. Dressers are actually not that bad if you ever need to attempt one in the future. I think beds are the hardest I have done. . .

Now all you need is a little baby!

three pinkies said...

Glad to see everything is going great! You are so organized and prepared!!

I have the matching tall dresser (it has 4 drawers). My sister & I had it and one just like yours in the room we shared when we were little, flower drawer pulls and all! Crazy!

Riki Lee said...

Can't go wrong with scrapbook paper-one of my gave easy decor tricks. It's all looking great! Bet you can't wAit for that little guy to come now.