(Pardon the messy chili bowl - I am certainly not a food photographer.)
I love to experiment with recipes, especially when it comes to making dinner. I've tried several versions of most of our standard meals: enchiladas, spaghetti sauce, stroganoff, soups and more. But when it comes to chili, I refuse to deviate from this tried-and-true family recipe. It is hearty, flavorful, quick and simple. I love it and it's the first thing I think of when the weather turns crisp and cool. I am almost positive this recipe came from my Aunt Gail. (Auntie, if all your recipes are this good, I need to accumulate more of them!)
You can find this recipe on the Dinner On A Dime blog, or I'll just share it here. It's so good, there are plenty of reasons for it to be posted on more than one blog.
Aunt Gail's Hearty Chili
2 cans of chili w/ beans
2 cans dark red kidney beans (do not drain)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
3-5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 lb. ground beef
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 pkg. taco seasoning
Combine chili w/beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and bacon in a crockpot or large pot. In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion and bell pepper until beef is thoroughly browned and onions are transluscent. Add to pot and stir in taco seasoning. Heat through and serve with shredded cheese.

3 comments:
Thanks for the recipe! I think I'm going to try it today :)
I always take that to ward functions, and it is the first chili to disappear! Yes, you can thank aunt Gail for that recipe --
we've gotten alot of mileage out of it.
Mom
Sounds great, I printed it out! I want to start doing a soup once a week so I'll try this next week!
Post a Comment