Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm An Addict

My name is Jenna, and I am an ADDICT.
Here are a few things that I just can't live without lately. I don't know what it is...
Apples with peanut butter. Mmmm, my favorite snack. I have never really been a big fan of apples - too sweet, too sticky and they taste gross with water. But when I was a 1st Year at Girls' Camp back in the day, I remember one of the leaders offering me an apple with some peanut butter while we were hiking and it was fabulous. Now, all these years later, I remember how good it tasted back then and in our house we are eating about 5lbs of apples per week. Always with peanut butter.

I am sooo late to get into this trend, but thanks to one week of illness and Lifetime Television, I got sucked into watching Grey's Anatomy every day at 3pm and I just can't stop. It's dramatic, unrealistic and a bit ridiculous the way everyone plays musical boyfriends/girlfriends, but I love it. It's fun to have a show that I can watch mindlessly while I fold laundry and iron. I'm just starting Season 4 and I miss Preston Burke and Addison Montgomery, but the drama continues and I'm addicted. It's so silly, really.
Edamame. Simple. Substantial.
Between the apples and edamame each day, I no longer eat lunch. I just snack on these healthy foods and they keep me going through a long day. I picked up a box of Edamame at Costco and they've lasted me a few weeks. Jack and Henry love them, too. Bonus.


And probably my most shocking addiction of all is RUNNING. I never thought I'd be able to say that in all my life. I have always loathed it. My body never seemed built to run long distances. But a couple of months ago I got a bee in my bonnet to run, I have no idea why. In Oak City in August, my trusty friend and I ran/walked a 5K for fun (she even ran in Keens since I gave her no warning and she didn't bring her running shoes!). I was amazed that I could do even that, and I wanted more. Everyone I knew that ran told me that I could, too, if I just pushed through the first few runs and let myself get to the point of enjoying it. I didn't believe a point like that existed. But I persisted. I found a friend to run with on Monday and Wednesday mornings.
We have been running for 4 weeks now. The first few times were horrendous for me - I was sure I would collapse after the first mile and I counted down the steps until we were done. Then all of a sudden something changed and I found myself not only enduring, but enjoying our runs! Two weeks ago I ran 12 miles in a week, including a 5K where my goal was to not walk and shave time off of my usual 3-mile time. Success! Last week we ran 15 miles in 3 days, one day running 6.5 miles up the canyon and back. It is impossible to run around our town without going up and down several hills, since we live on a mountain bench, so that is a bonus workout as well. I have no desire to run a marathon for now, but I would like to do a half in January. I have to admit that I've been inspired by Natalie, Nicole and Leslie, my running companion and former marathon runner. If I do anything worth reporting, I will surely share. For now I am still giddy from surviving and enjoying a 6.5 mile run!
This picture is one of the views during our many runs.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

YAY! Having a running partner is HUGE. That's so great. Especially when it starts getting dark and cold in the morning, you need that motivation to get out and go. It sounds like you're well on your way to running your half in January! That's awesome!

Lynnie said...

Thanks for sharing, Jenna. (That's what they say at AA after someone finishes) Honestly, your running conversion resonates with me. One day I just thought it sounded like a good idea when it had been the last thing I'd ever want to do for the 26 years before that. Good for you! And in Utah, no less. I started when I moved back to sea level. ;) My goals are similar to yours. I've done two 5ks and would like to try a half m. this spring. Go us!

Cherylyn said...

My kids LOVE apples & peanut butter! They eat it like it's candy, and I love that it's healthy :)

Riki Lee said...

Mmmm...apples and peanut butter.

elizabeth said...

Jenna-
That's about the only way I can eat apples, too. I have one almost
every day for dessert. I have to try the edamame now. Keep up the
hard work with the running. No comment on Grey's Anatomy.
Mom

Anjanette said...

What is it about apples & PB that is so good. I stopped eating apples for a while there & then I sampled the already cut & bagged apples at Costco. So so good.

Congrats on the running. I'm so impressed! Wish I could be your running buddy.

jet said...

I'm totally with you on the apples and peanut butter. Eat it almost every day! :|

three pinkies said...

I am so impressed with your running! Now I definitely would be left in the dust, even if I left the Keens home! :)
I'm wondering what's on your running playlist? I could use some new motivating music.

The Lamb's said...

Wow, I am flabbergasted that I inspired you. I would feel like a success if I just didn't disappoint; but inspire? thank you old friend. And a hearty welcome to the world of crazy runners! It is addicting and I can't believe I believe that, but its true. I'm so excited for you and hope we can someday run a race together. You are awesome Jenna - keep up the good work.