Friday, October 17, 2008

If You Want to Know Why, Then I'll Tell You...

I shouldn't have to explain my political views to anyone, but since it's been requested of me, here you go.

The other night I found myself watching the final debate, only because there was nothing else on television, not because I was especially interested. In fact, call it ignorance, call it neglectful as an American citizen, but I have tried purposely to avoid politics on TV altogether for three reasons:

1. They are a great source of contention. And no matter how anyone tries to tell you they're not "trying to start an argument" or "not telling you you're wrong" when they express their  points of view, it still pushes my buttons and I feel all kinds of anxiety and frustration when discussing them, or when I listen to others discuss them. I simply prefer to live free of that spirit when I can.

2. I have a hard time trusting politicians. I personally feel that each election year we are presented with two evils, and it is our duty to choose the lesser one. And the candidates just get worse as the years go by. Few politicians are completely honest. I don't think Obama or McCain are perfect candidates, and they're certainly not honest or consistent men. They make promises to win approval, and I'm certain they will never follow through with all of them.

3. Our country is becoming more and more divided. It seems any more that you are very liberal or very conservative, which makes even more room for disagreement, anger and hard feelings. 

Initially I was a Mitt Romney fan, because I felt he was the best representative of truth, consistency, faith in God (which is extremely important to me, especially if you're a politician), and patriotism. 

When McCain won the Republican nomination, I wasn't going to vote for him or Obama, because like I said, I really don't trust either of them completely.  Then, McCain put Sarah Palin on his ticket. I was appalled and a bit disgusted at first, because I recognized that move as a sign of desperation to compete with the novelty of a first-time black American candidate. Then I did research on her, and I was surprisingly impressed. Her values, her record, her personal life all represented what I felt was important. She is a woman that gets things done, that follows through on her promises, that holds her family sacred, who enjoys hunting and the great outdoors, that sees our country as a source of highly valuable natural resources. Her stance on political issues won me over.

I agree with McCain and Palin's plan for ecological independence. I agree with keeping our troops in Iraq until the war is won, not backing out to appease the popular liberal idea. I am pro-life. I like my guns and I have the right to use them, and McCain supports that. I want our borders protected. I think everyone should have to legally become U.S. citizens before they can enjoy the rights and privileges associated with citizenship. I agree with his desire to reform the current education program before throwing more money into a new one. 

And finally, I just feel in my gut that he's the better candidate, the lesser evil, if you will. I shouldn't have to explain that to anyone. When I look at Obama and McCain and everything that they stand for individually, I see John McCain as the better patriot. 

I know George Bush hasn't been popular for a while, but I will say one thing about him. He has stuck by his convictions in this war and I am thankful every day that it was him in the White House when our country was attacked. Not Al Gore, whose personal agenda has always been more important to him than that of this country. And I'm grateful John Kerry didn't win in the last elections, because quite frankly, he terrified me.

I don't want Obama to win because he is backed by the media and Hollywood. And the media and Hollywood are liberal - everyone knows this - and contrast highly most, if not all, things I believe in. I do believe  he is intelligent, an eloquent speaker, and he handled himself very well in the final debate. But he is inexperienced, his convictions seem shallow to me, and I think the only reason he is where he is now is because he is a novelty. 

Now, if you want to argue these points, feel free to do so on your OWN BLOG and let me know about it. Any negative, rude, or argumentative comments left in response to this post will be deleted by the author (that's me). Your blog is a place where you are free to exercise your freedom of speech, NOT my blog.

6 comments:

Heather Evans said...

Jenna-

Can I get an AMEN to that? I think your posting was thoughtful and meaningful in every aspect. It's no wonder the world is the way it is when people justify standards and look only to serve themselves. Way to go sister!!

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

I am SO on board. Plus, obama's socialist views scare the crap out of me.

Anonymous said...

I could not have said it better myself, and I agree we all have the right to our own opionion "without" being judged.

Anonymous said...

Jenna,

I fell an apology on my part is in order. I did not mean to come across as hurtful or insulting, and am very sorry if I came off that way. I know that people can be very emotional about politics and I should have been more sensitive to the issue.

My comment was intended only to understand why people dislike Obama so much. I appreciate your response and found your comments to very insightful. You have obviously thought a lot about this election and provided some very good reasons why you believe what you do, and I appreciate that. I guess I assumed that since you had written posted several times about political issues, that you were willing do discuss them on your blog.

Again, I am sorry. I did not mean for it to come across that I was judging you in any way, nor did I intend to be hurtful or disrespectful in anyway. I truly respect your opinons and beliefs and think that we have more in common that what my previous comment may have indicated.

There are many things in life that are much more important than politics (friends, family, etc...) and I hope that in my awkward attempt to engage in political discourse, I have not compramised something much more important.

Again, my sincerest apologies.

Peace,

Jaron

Cherylyn said...

Jenna, you have eloquently written what I have been feeling deep within myself but struggled to put into words, and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said. My husband and I have often talked about how there is just something about Obama that feels wrong, and it's not something you can explain or prove. It's sad that his campaign is blasted everywhere in front of us; he even has his own channel on DishNetwork. Anyway, I think there are a lot of people who feel the same way as we do, but we're not out picketing and screaming into cameras about our political views. We're content to sit back and watch the political drama but to stay out of it and be ready to place our important votes.

Natalie said...

okay I'm posting too many comments on this subject....BUT I just realized I posted my comment with the wrong post. So, Jenna, here it is again (just pasted where I intended it to be originally)........It's a comment I had posted on a friend's blog about her VERY liberal point of view. I hope it helps to clarify a conservative's outlook:

Oh my, Tasha! You have really hit a tender spot with me, and with some of your other friends it seems too. It's good to have passion in politics. It's America and I support the right to vote freely. I also realize the fine line it could cross between good friends. I hope this comes across as just good conversation and insight, not anything else.

I stronly believe that in this day and age (because wickedness has become so "tolerated") that politics, church, and friends must be intertwined. What we believe in MUST be the core of who we are. I will no longer seperate my political beliefs with my social crowd, and ESPECIALLY never with my church.

I love all of my friends, even my liberal friends, and always will...but I must stand and stand tall for what I believe to be righteousness. I don't care who the candidate is, but I will always vote CONSERVATIVE. The democratic/liberal platform stands strongly for handouts, abortions, big government, and gay/lesbian marriage, and weak military actions. I believe two of Satan's greatest tools for breaking up the family is gay marriage and preventing valiant spirits to come down to this earth (abortion).

I can't say I love McCain, but I love Sarah Palin. She stands for more conservatism than McCain. I want this country to be rewarded for career success, not involve ourselves in "distribution of the wealth." I want this country to find their own way in life, and not be so quick to hold their hand out for welfare. What I hear Obama saying (in my own interpretaion) is "I'll make things easy for all of you, I'll give you what you need for free health care, free college, free access to America, free rights to everything." And of course lazy, poor Americans (which is what our generation has turned into) loves to hear that.

Gosh, I wonder if I should just erase this comment. But I think America is not about HAVING everything we want. We must work for what we have, sacrifice, and be able to keep our money that we earn instead of giving it to the people that decided to stay home and not go to college to earn a decent job. (that's a generalization I know, but you get the point?)

Hmmm.....my mind is stirring. I have so many more thoughts, but will leave my jibberish thoughts as is. I hope it made some sense. I hope everyone will vote for who they think is best.