Monday, August 11, 2008

Family Reunions

We spent this past weekend in Moses Lake, Washington for a Holmes family reunion. We drove in our sweet new minivan, which undoubtedly was the reason for such a great drive there and back. A DVD player, comfy seats, lots of room and a smooth ride made the trip enjoyable, not just bearable. The boys kept entertained and were so well-behaved. We are so lucky to have such good little kids. I know it could be much worse.

On the way to Washington, we had the rare opportunity to have lunch in Boise with my brother, Jared, who is currently serving his mission there. It was so fun to see him mid-mission. It was all approved by his mission president, no rules were broken. I was sad to drive away and leave him to serve for another 17 months, but Boise's not too far away, and he is an excellent missionary. I'll be especially anxious to see him when the full two years are over with!


The reunion was jam-packed with lots of events and activities. It was hot in Moses Lake, so a few of the activities involved swimming. Phil bought the boys these Speedo outfits to keep the boys afloat. Awesome, right?

One night we went bowling with the family. At one point, Phil was up and knocked a pin into the ball return with his ball, which then ricocheted back into the lane and knocked down the remaining pins for a SPARE. It was unbelievable. The pin he knocked into the ball return eventually blocked up the return for our lane and the lane next to us and none of our bowling balls were making it back to us, so the maintenance guys had to come tear up the floor to get it out. What are the chances?

On Saturday, Phil and I ran a 5K (no pictures). Then we went briefly to a very crowded water park. Jack fell asleep on Aunt Mary in the Lazy River.

Our last morning there we went to breakfast in the hotel restaurant, where Jack and Henry enjoyed a breakfast of eggs and pancakes with a breathtaking view of the lake in the background. They really cared, can you tell?

All in all it was a fun experience. I am always up for a trip to the Northwest. I vote that our next family vacation be to Portland and Seattle, especially if all the pumps at the gas stations have signs like this (notice a customer at the gas pump kindly corrected the grammar in a few spots):

9 comments:

MARIE said...

Those speedo suits are awesome. And the view from your hotel is fabulous. I'm glad Jack and Henry know what's really important, though... the scrambled eggs. ( :

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

thanks for the report for those of us who didn't make it. jack looks hilarious in that swimsuit.

crazy lady said...

It was so fun to see you and those darling boys!
How fun to have a comfy new van with all the trimmings.
(I notice you were too modest to mention you came in first in your category on the race:0)

Kelsey said...

It sure was great to finally meet those boys! I wish I would have had a little more time to visit with all of you, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. Hopefully we'll be moving a little closer once I graduate this fall and we can spend more time with you and those boys.

(and thanks for posting that gas station sign. That made my day.)

BossyMommy said...

What??? You came in first? What was your category? I could make up something funny here, but I'll behave. And don't get me wrong...I love the pics of you and the boys and Phil and Jerry, but my favorite part of this post is the sign. You know me and grammatically incorrect signs. IDIOT! (she said in her best Napoleon Dynamite voice)

three pinkies said...

Way to go on the 5k! And first place... I'm impressed!
I love those floating wet suits! We have a bigger one that's really been enjoyed.
I've never seen anyone have to tear the floor up at the bowling alley! That's an accomplishment of a different kind! ;) My boys have been begging us to take them bowling, since the local alley is 2 1/2 blocks away I really should take them.

crazy lady said...

OK. So, I admit I forgot where you served your mission. And now I feel dumb that I didn't get to visit with you about my Italy wanderings this summer. I'll say this - Milan was HOT. I basically got attacked by pigeons(and crazy guys trying to get me to hold birdseed to feed the ravenous flying rats) in the square at the duomo and only got lost twice - temporarily.
So, next time I see you I'll divulge all the gory details. If my memory holds out that long that is...

Unknown said...

Fun pics Jenna. That sign at the bottom is hillarious!!! It makes you worried to know that people that dumb are wandering this same earth with us.

Natalie said...

Hilarious sign! I saw so many of those in New Orleans! Looks like you had a fun time--those boys are growing up so fast!