Monday, September 10, 2012

Capitol Reef Getaway

Phil is hunting this year down in Thousand Lakes. It's about 2-1/2 hours away, so it's not terribly convenient. He wanted to take a weekend to go check out the area and look for deer, but I knew I would miss him too much if he left me. So he booked a hotel in a tiny town outside of Capitol Reef National Park, we packed up the truck and drove down with the boys. I wasn't overly excited about leaving my house projects for two days, but once we got in the car I was so glad to be heading out with all the people I love most in this world. 

We stayed in a small town called Torrey. We checked into the hotel then walked down the main street (there was one street in the whole town) to find dinner. We checked out the local market. It was cute, so I made the boys pose in front of it.

There was an irrigation ditch/creek that ran along the main road. The boys loved it and all the little bridges that crossed it.

My view was mostly of this and I enjoyed it thoroughly:


This little boys tried to get away and RUN every chance he got, so Phil had to keep a tight grip on him everywhere we went. I was glad to not be the one chasing him everywhere for a day or two.

I held on to these little besties of mine instead.

Right outside of our hotel was a large horse pasture and horses to feed. Grant loves horses almost to the point of being obsessed, so he was happy to spend some time feeding them grass and weeds.
This was one of the views from the main road of Torrey. Red rocks, green pastures and mountains all around. The views were incredible. What a lovely town.
 While Daddy hunted, the boys and I swam in the hotel pool...
 ...and read library books all together in the hotel beds. 

This was one of the lovely views from our hotel. I couldn't stop looking at it.

After hunting was over and before we headed home, we mosied through Capitol Reef. Here Phil was explaining why the park was called Capitol Reef to a very captive audience.

We just had to get a picture of twin boys in front of the twin rocks.


A view from 800 feet up. No thank you! I'll stand back and take the picture of the crazies out on the ledge.

One of the prettiest parts was this little walkway that stretched along the petroglyphs in the rocks. Deer were tame and walked just a few feet away from the spectators. Across the street was a long stretch of apple orchards. It was delightful.


Grant, Henry and Jack wanted to run and climb all over the rocks all day long. Unfortunately it started getting hot and this pregnant mamma wanted to ride in an air-conditioned truck instead.


A few views from Phil's early morning hunt. Such pretty country...


We stopped for burgers and shakes on our way out of town and one of Utah's 10 Best Burger Joints. I think it lived up to its reputation. I think we will put this trip down as one to be repeated in the future. We loved it!



No comments: