Saturday, October 2, 2010

Under Pressure

Recently, I was invited to attend a party, hosted by a good friend of mine. It was one of those parties, where you go and have to buy something, like kitchen ware, clothing, purses, home fragrance accessories, etc. We've all been to one, or even hosted one (guilty!).

The dear, sweet hostess called a week in advance and asked if I would be able to attend her party. I politely explained my scheduling conflicts and declined. A few days later I received a physical invitation in the mail. Knowing I couldn't attend, I tossed it. The night before the party, the sales person called and asked if I would be attending. This was the gist of the conversation as best as I can recall:

Sales Lady: Hi, Jenna! My name is _______ and I have you down as an attendee for __________'s party tomorrow night.
Me: Actually, I already told ________ that I wouldn't be attending.
S.L.: Oh, why not?
Me: (Explained my scheduling conflict, expressing zero interest or need for the product being sold.)
S.L.: Oh, well you live close by. I would be happy to stop by after the party and go through some of the product with you.
Me: No, thanks. That is my family time and it's really not necessary.
S.L.: Ok, well let's schedule an online meeting together and I can explain the product to you then. I know you will LOVE it.
Me: (Seriously?) Ok, maybe some time. (Please give up now...)
S.L.: I will call you next week and set something up.
Me: (Please, just let me get off the phone..) Ok, thanks. Bye!

I really do try to avoid these situations. I don't attend a party of this sort unless I know I could benefit from it or I have something in mind that I would like to purchase. Once I hosted a ModBe party, selling swimwear and clothing, only because several friends expressed interest in the product. That night, I was so relieved that two of my cousins came and left without buying a thing! The last thing I wanted was for people to feel pressure from me or the sales person to buy something they didn't need or want.

However, I love Lia Sophia jewelry. Generally the best way to even become aware of it is through parties like the ones I despise. I was lucky enough to be introduced to it by my dear friend, Leslie. She sells it, and unlike lots of other multi-level marketing organizations, she doesn't do it with unneccessary pressure. The jewelry sells itself. It's beautiful, it makes a statement. I never cared much for elaborate jewelry, and most of what I had came from Target or Claire's. I rarely purchased new pieces. But I am addicted to Lia Sophia! Here's why:

  • They have amazing deals. In September, the sale was "Buy Two, Get FOUR Half-Off".

  • The half-off pieces can always be your most expensive choices.

  • Lifetime replacement policy and guarantee on every piece!
I just ordered a few pieces that I am ECSTATIC about!
(Sugar Plum Necklace)

(Edge of Night Bracelet)


Also, a few basic pieces: The Curvature Cuff and Inside Out Earrings.


Anyway, if you love feeling pretty and want a good deal on a great piece (or multiple pieces) of jewelry, head on over to Leslie's Lia Sophia site. Look at the jewelry and tell me you're not in love!

2 comments:

Anjanette said...

Wow! Talk about persistent & just a teensy bit annoying...(ok, really annoying)

Sarah said...

That's why I've stopped hosting parties of any kind. And yes, I love Lia Sophia, too! I just got some more pieces I ordered, and I'm already wanting more!