When the boys turned 3 last year, I was given the option to enroll them in their preschool, which meant they would be attending preschool for two years prior to kindergarten. The teacher suggested it would be smart to do so to improve their social skills. I didn't feel strongly that preschool at 3 years of age was necessary for a few reasons: 1) They will be in school for a long time, I didn't want to add an extra year to that; 2) They are twins - they know how to be social, how to share, how to play nice, etc.; and 3) I simply could not part with them yet!
So once that decision was made, I decided I would at least have a goal to teach them their ABC's and how to write their name before they went to preschool at 4 years old. We started writing our letters last year, but honestly, the boys didn't care very much. Neither did I - I was tired and pregnant, and not very diligent. So we started up again this year and the boys have really had a better interest in it. They want to know how to spell everything, and ask "What letter does ____ start with?" for every word. Jack has especially enjoyed learning his ABC's. Last week, I gave him a piece of blank paper and said, "Let's play a game. I say a letter and you write it on the paper." We went from A to Z and he knew every letter, then we turned the paper over and he wrote his name ALL BY HIMSELF! He was so proud - the look on his face says it all, so I took some pictures.
2 comments:
What smarty pants you have! I think your boys would have been bored in their 2nd year of preschool and probably even in Kindergarten if they had 2 years of preschool. They catch on so quick!
I wish I would have worked with Eliza on her lower case letters. That's almost all they use in Kindergarten. But I always write in all caps so she was out of luck!
Priceless pix and your "views" come from the heart of a MOM. I am happy you are my niece!
Post a Comment