Thursday, February 3, 2011

Back In Business

Last night we bought a new camera. Our curious little Jack dropped our last one lens-down on the kitchen floor several months ago, and in the interim I was using Phil's old camera. It was not going to suffice with a new baby on his way, so we made the purchase last night. It hardly broke the bank, and we decided if it decides to take bad pictures then we'll save for a fabulous one in the future. Now I feel I can blog a little more frequently and update our life story a little more diligently.


Recently, I was reading over one of my favorite blogs, Barefoot In the Kitchen, and was reminded of some simplicities of homemaking that I need to get in the habit of praciticing more often. So this morning I took the boys out and about to see their cousins and run some quick errands, then we came home and baked delicious cookies together! The boys begged and pleaded for some cookies and milk as it was time for their nap, and while I would have liked for that to be their treat after a nap, I understood the importance of eating cookies hot out of the oven with a tall glass of cold milk. I didn't want to deny them such a luxury. We all thoroughly enjoyed our pre-nap snack, and I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent together doing something so simplistic. Sometimes it's nice to just stay at home and "do nothing".


Monster Cookies
1 c. butter (2 sticks), softened 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
3/4 c. white sugar 
2 tsp. vanilla 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1 tsp. salt 
2 eggs
2-1/4 c. flour
1 c. 7 grain cereal or oatmeal
1 c. coconut
1 c. milk chocolate chips
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (or substitute 2 c. M&M's)


Combine butter, sugars, vanilla, baking soda, salt and eggs. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to sit on cookie sheet an additional 2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

My mom used to make those, too. I think I might make some next week! Makes me feel like home. . .

Megan said...

Hey! I saw your little baby countdown and I thought... NO WAY! IT LIES!!! Then I realized... No, it is not a lie! 30 days! How amazing! It will be so fun to have a little newborn around to cuddle and love!