We got home from seeing Toy Story 3 after 10:00pm Friday night. It was at that point that we came up the genius idea of going camping... THAT NIGHT! Hey, we can be spontaneous, right? So while Phil ran to the store for a few necessary items (you know, like a tent), I got everything packed up at home. We left just after 11pm and set off driving.

Jack got distracted and played with the dirt in the middle of the road.

Phil found a grub and showed it to the boys...
...then used it to catch this fish, which he gutted and cooked up over the fire. It was terrific!
After we packed up camp, we headed off for a little hike up the trail by our site.

Ollie had his first chance to run and play in a pond of water. We spent about an hour trying to get him to jump in and fetch a stick. It was ridiculously entertaining! I think out of all of us, Ollie had the best time camping, and this was the highlight of his trip!

The boys were completely in their element. Ever since they were born Phil has said that he wished they were born walking so he could take them camping, hiking, hunting and fishing right away. Well his wish came true this weekend. The boys were rock stars. I hope we have lots of these great trips ahead of us.

As long as I live I will never, ever get enough of this cute little face. It's my favorite picture of the weekend. Ok, my favorite picture of the year.

I wore a cowboy hat on the hike because a) I wanted to shade my face and b) it was the only hat left to choose. Henry took it from me halfway through the hike and I never got it back.
We planned to go to a public camp site less than 30 minutes away, but they were full when we got there, so we kept driving and driving and driving to the first spot that had NO campers, about an hour and a half later. Phil set up the tent while the boys and I kept warm in the truck. Jack fell asleep on the way up, but Henry was wide-eyed by the time we found a site and totally curious about the whole deal. When we finally were ready to call it a night and go to sleep, Henry started freaking out about the sleeping-in-a-tent idea. He repeated over and over, "I gotta get outta here. Get me outta here! I wanna go to mommy's house..." Phil and I finally realized he hadn't eaten dinner. Oops! After a pop tart, a banana and a drink, he literally was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. (He gets that grouchy-when-hungry quality from his mom.)
When we woke up in the morning, we discovered we had camped right next to a stream at the head of a trail with a view of the pines and aspens on the ridge across the road. Heaven! It was a perfect site. 

Phil cooked up some delicious bacon and eggs for breakfast. We all ate and warmed up by the camp fire. 
Later the boys threw rocks in the water and looked for grubs to use as bait for fishing.
Later the boys threw rocks in the water and looked for grubs to use as bait for fishing.
Phil found a grub and showed it to the boys...
Ollie had his first chance to run and play in a pond of water. We spent about an hour trying to get him to jump in and fetch a stick. It was ridiculously entertaining! I think out of all of us, Ollie had the best time camping, and this was the highlight of his trip!
Ollie was running and splashing so much, we all fell victim to mud spray. Jack had some on his cute little face, not that he minded one bit.
As long as I live I will never, ever get enough of this cute little face. It's my favorite picture of the weekend. Ok, my favorite picture of the year.
I wore a cowboy hat on the hike because a) I wanted to shade my face and b) it was the only hat left to choose. Henry took it from me halfway through the hike and I never got it back.
On our way back down the trail, Henry hitched a ride. Jack took Phil's hat as well.
Happy Father's Day to my love. I enjoyed so much watching him with the boys this weekend. It was the reason I couldn't put the camera down. We are so blessed to have these children - they are miracles in every sense of the word. And I am thankful to have a husband who is also a brilliant father. I think this trip was a perfect way to celebrate him. Love you, honey.
4 comments:
makes me miss utah... you guys are such a great family
wow! What an adventure. You guys are totally spontaneous! I love it.
Love those little faces. What a great weekend for all of you.
Happy Father's Day, Phil. You're a wonderful dad!
My word Jenna, what CUTE pictures! I SO miss these little boys each week! Is it bad that I hope to be in Sunbeams long enough to have them in Primary? What fun, awesome parents they have too ;)
Post a Comment