I inadvertently started a new tradition with my little twin heartthrobs. Last Friday, after our daily trip to the gym, I decided to have a little lunch date with them and do something out of the ordinary. We started by driving through the car wash (this fascinates the boys), then stopped at a local burger joint to get some burgers and fries. I let the boys pick out what they wanted for lunch and drinks, then we packed everything up and headed to the park. We ate at a picnic table and talked and talked. I let the boys know we were on a date and tried my best to make it special for them. It was funny to me how quickly they picked up on the special occasion, and they were so happy to have my undivided attention and were incredibly obedient and pleasant.
I loved it.
On Friday, Phil was gone until late at night for a work party, so I decided to do something special with the boys again, just the three of us. First, we went out for pizza at Pier 49. We sat in a booth, they each got their own drinks, breadsticks and pizza. We almost had the entire place to ourselves. Then we went to the "candy store," as Jack calls it, and I let the boys pick out their own candy to take to the high school football game. Then we were off to the game. They ran around the track, found some little friends and cheered on the teams. They were so excited all night and talked about everything we did over and over until they finally fell asleep at home. Again, I think they could sense the specialness of the occasion and knew that they had my undivided attention. They soaked it up, and so did I.
Phil will be off hunting this weekend, so it looks like we'll get to have another special date three weeks in a row. My mind is buzzing with ideas...
Henry watching the football game.
2 comments:
Awww... I love date night with my kids. It really is super special.
I love this idea! You are such a good mom! I'm glad you can do this with them. It truly DOES help the parenting process go smoother!
Post a Comment