Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorial Day Traditions

I think Memorial Day is my favorite holiday, second only to Christmas. It's almost better than Christmas. I start looking forward to the next Memorial Day weekend the day after Memorial Day each year. That is not a joke or an exaggeration. It's always a grand get-together in Oak City with Phil's side of the family, the Lyman side. Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, friends, siblings - we're all there and it's F-U-N. This past weekend was no exception. Mad props to Millie's family for putting together a fabulous reunion, it was the best one yet! In fact, I enjoyed it so much I completely forgot to stay on top of any and all photo opps, but I'll share what I do have.


Jack started the weekend off with a big nap - we were all still recovering from our trip to California. As you might have read, it was a little tiring. I have to share this picture, though, because A) I got him that sweet shirt at Children's Place, and it totally looks like something Phil would wear and B) He looks so much like his dad, he even sleeps the same way. Weird.
Henry has a new-found love of sunglasses. He was sporting Phil's shades off and on throughout the weekend, and he thinks he's such a stud, too. Watch out ladies...

Every Saturday morning during MDB, the guys go golfing. There has never been anything for us chicas to do except take care of kids (our own or anyone else's). This year the Wilcken girls brought all the fixin's for pedicures, so we gave each other pedicures and visited amongst ourselves. Nice idea, girls! It was fab.

On Saturday, after a day of golfing, hot dogs, swimming, pedicures, choir practice (the cousins sing in sacrament meeting on Sunday), the P-I-G contest, and a grand dinner, there's a dance and the Oak City Band plays while we all get our two-steppin', square-dancin' groove on.

Jack and I two-steppin' the night away. See? He LOVES it!

Hallie was a doll and took care of a lot of the kids over the weekend. Henry just loves her, and she was so good to keep an eye on him for me when I was doing other stuff.


Mary and Brady, the newly-engaged couple. This was Brady's first MDB, and he handled it like a pro. Welcome to the family, Brady!

Something I love about Oak City is that it's so small and quiet that we never put our kids in carseats there. Yep, it's true. Give me the Mother of the Year award. We even let our kids drive the car, with a little assistance. Jack thought he was big stuff steering and honking the horn.

Sunday, after church, more P-I-G, and dinner, we have a program or talent show of sorts. This year Mel and Aunt Julie premiered their new "Wonderment of the Spectacular Magic Duo". It was hee-larious and very entertaining. Henry got a picture with one of the big stars after their show.

Now the whole purpose of the weekend is to serve breakfast on Monday morning to the entire Oak City community. It's a free breakfast with sourdough pancakes, ham, eggs, juice, milk fresh from the cow (my favorite) and it's provided by our own Lyman family. Of course, I was busy working in the kitchen and didn't get a darn picture, but there are plenty of family blogs you can check for proper documentation of the event. It's the Edward Partridge Memorial Day Breakfast (M.D.B., if you will), done in honor of the Lyman family ancestor after whom it is named. And it's a big hit. I think we served 1,103 people this year. Pretty awesome.

I've mentioned this before, but I love Oak City. I'm certain we'll end up there some day. And I love our family. Put the two together and you can see for yourself why Memorial Day is my favorite.

1 comment:

Cheril said...

Memorial day is my favorite holiday too!!! I love oak city and most of all I love our family!! I'm really sad when we leave every year knowing that I have to wait a whole nother year to do it again! I guess we have a lot in common! I hope I'll see you guys again soon!!!
(just in case your not familiar me, I'm Dave's daughter, the 12 year old! Haha!!)